Sunday, May 10, 2015

Kay's BBQ in Cocoa Florida





  As you take the humid yet interesting ride to Cocoa Beach from I95 on highway 520 south, you have to look but to right on the corner of 520 and Clearlake Rd to see Kay's BBQ. It doesn't look like anything crazy. As you walk in there isn't an overwhelming theme, you're not rushed with crazy gimmicks, there's no load music, and the décor is a bit lacking. Then it happens. Your food arrives, and you forget there was even anything around you outside of the steaming feast sitting before you

     This is one of those places that if you're looking for a server to kiss your ass or cater to your petty whim, you are in the wrong place. As I sit down in this restaurant for the first time in over 10 years, I realize that this not your everyday wait staff. No, instead of overinfectious service, you get a well balanced front of the house. One that would rather take their time and do it right, than be up your ass every thirty seconds vacantly asking how your meal is and "is there anything else I can get for you". Instead you get a staff that shows up at the perfect time to fill your drink or deliver your meal right on time, and exactly as ordered.


      As my grandfather had done all of my childhood during the summers I spent in Cocoa, I ordered the "Feast". This massive platter of protein comes piled high with sliced smoked pork, beef, turkey, St Louis style ribs, and a half smoked chicken. Not to mention a half pint of coleslaw, and baked beans, 2 pieces of corn on the cob, and your choice of two potato based options. I chose French fries, and a baked potato.


     I take a long look at this wonderful cornucopia of southern inspired goodness, I can't help but wonder: Has a decade of elapsed time had altered my perception of the integrity of this exceedingly nostalgic food for me? Let it be known, for me to admit someone could touch my own BBQ sauce is epic! However, with my hat tipped in admiration it gives mine a run for its money. The sliced beef was truly moist and delicious. The chicken was a bit dry, and lacking flavor. The sliced pork would have been more desirable if it were shredded, and the ribs were pretty good, although a bit stock. One of the main prizes of this dish surprisingly, was the grilled Texas toast.

   Honestly, at the end of this humble meal, I have to say it was more than worth the visit. Out of  all the BBQ places I've been referred, I'm never happy. Kay's is a warm welcome to decent BBQ, to which this country severely lacks. To all of those crappy BBQ dives out there beware I'm on my way to cut the hype. This is the first of many blogs that I plan to write as many have before, but unlike those hacks I know good BBQ. This is to be a chronicle of my trips and the food I encounter on my journeys. The fact is, if you know me, you know that Chef Bob-E has an obsession for dive food.
   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment