Sunday, May 31, 2015

Caney Fork River Valley Grille, Nashville TN

   

 Walking in I had super high hopes, the atmosphere was great, there was a healthy wait time, and a whole wall of accolades. As I look at the menu my mouth starts watering at the concepts laid out in print before me. I see gator tail, frogs legs, wild game chili, and above all the award winning "Nashville's Best" ribs. However my dream quickly turned into a nightmare. It was like as if a bad joke, the punch-line was not funny. I had always told myself that I wouldn't do a bad write up about a restaurant. I didn't want to come off as some smug blogger trying to get a rise out of people, without considering how that could affect business for said restaurant. That being said, I don't think I'm going to hurt this business. The stigma is strong with this one.


  As I roll through the doors, I look around and notice all the amusing taxidermy fashioned. Stuffed raccoons sifting through the garbage. A lovely live band fully unplugged and loving what they do. Signs out front boasting its awesome reviews on Trip Advisor, and locals bragging about the food and there local scene. Just the kind of thing I love to see in any local restaurant.

 


  I walk through the dining are and take my place at the bar. After soaking up this interesting menu, I give my order.I allays request that food come out as its ready. This way I can try each while hot and it gives me a moment to really absorb the flavor profile. I can feel the excitement peak as my choices make there way out. First I receive the fried green tomatoes, something we Southerners take seriously. They are a nice golden brown, and are served with a interesting looking pinkish brown sauce. I'm told the sauce is like a Cajun style sauce. I cut the tomato and dip it in the proud sauce. Its one of those situations. Where, you find yourself really hard to be polite ,and not let show the utter disappointment that you feel inside. The sauce was like horseradish and mayo, and the tomatoes were breaded in nothing more than unseasoned cornmeal. Life goes on. As I push the tomatoes to the side, the fried gator tail shows up. To my dismay, they are served fried with the same batter and sauce. Not to be brought down without trying it. I hopefully take a bite of the tails, this time no sauce. Only to be let down again. I disregard the gator tail, and my wild game "Not So Famous Chili" shows up. It looked great, had a great aroma, the presentation was good. Then bam, I try it. I have to tell you I almost cried when I realized it tasted like thick-and-chunky canned chili. It took only one bite before the decision was made. Finally the ribs are brought out. Everything to this point was a total disappointment, but I was none the less stoked to try "Nashville's Best" award winning ribs. The ribs had a nice aroma and esthetic. I pulled first rib off the rack effortlessly, and take a bite. I instantly feel the harsh crunch, after biting into the chi bone that was failed to be removed. Oh well, I spit out the bone and take a bite of what is destined to be the last. Even though only one bite was taken from each dish I gladly paid my check, and peacefully exited toward my vehicle.


    It was never my intention walking into the place to do a bad review. In fact, it was my goal to strictly write about food, where the cooks and servers get-it. Where you can taste, and feel the point of pride in every bite. But honestly, I think its just as important to cut through the fat and expose these  places that are strictly built on hype. If there is one thing I can't abide, its food that has a reputation undeserved. With my mind looking forward to the awesome restaurants to come, the journey for those really bad-ass dive shall continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment